zondag 4 maart 2012

Pet peeve sleeves

I really really hate doing sleeves. I looked at all my UFOs lying about and/or hidden away, and at a guess I think 90% of them are sweaters or cardigans or tops stuck at the sleeve part of knitting. That means really they're over half done and if I were only to apply myself rigorously, I'd finish them. Yet, I just really hate doing them. They're boring, they're endless, they are very deceitfully really as big as a whole front or back bodice, you have to shape them to fit in an armhole, you have to sew them up, you have to increase and then decrease and usually at the same time on both sides, YUK, no, take them away!

There are, of course a couple of ways around this problem.
-I could start with the sleeves, instead of leaving them like a hateful chore to the end of all that more interesting knitting of the bodice.
-I could knit them top down and in the round, instead of bottom up, flat, to avoid the hated mattress stitching. ( in fact I do this a lot, it's definitely better, but you if you want to do it properly, there is still some shaping to do at the shoulders, AND it's still as endless going downwards than it is going upwards).
-I could knit 3/4 length sweaters or short sleeved ones, or better yet, no sleeves at all. Hurray for the sleeveless vest! But the sad truth is, I live in a sea climate, and the idea of a knitted sweater without sleeves, is rather like wearing a raincoat with a bikini bottom. I need the sleeves for warmth.
-I could move to Florida.

Still considering the last option.

1 opmerking:

  1. Even Florida has rainshowers/hurricanes. Perhaps you need . a raincoat with a bikini bottom... Hi Hi.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen